EDCTP joint strategic planning meeting organized by the network of “West Africa Network on Tuberculosis, HIV/Aids and Malaria” (WANETAM) in collaboration with the “Central Africa Network on Tuberculosis, HIV/Aids and Malaria” (CANTAM) which held from 24-25 June 2013 in Dakar-Senegal.
The strategic objectives of the meeting were:
- The achievements/lessons learnt from the two network activities under EDCTP1
- Recommendations on future activities under the both networks
- Identifying new ideas/ strategies/activities to strengthen research collaboration between Europe and African countries (North –South collaborations)
- Strategies developed that would facilitate involvement of new African Countries (Chad, Central Africa Republic, Niger, DRC)
- Strategies to engage regional health bodies (WAHO and OCEAC) in actual networks of excellence research and capacity development activities of EDCTP 2
- Engaging and strengthening ownership of African policy makers (makers (national disease control programmes, national ethics committees, national regulatory authorities and government ministries) with respect to future activities of EDCTP 2.
- How to increase participation of third parties (pharmaceutical industry, PDPs and other funding agencies): collaboration with WARN and WHO TDR could come under this category.
EDCTP project management and finance for non-finance managers training in Dakar-Senegal from 26-27 June 2013 for Western and Central Africa project managers.
The purpose was:
- To help participants improved their understanding of key financial management terms and principles, understand the internal control and risk management implications of some of the decisions they take, and understand the importance of putting in place sound financial management systems.
- To equip participants with skills and knowledge on how to effectively and efficiently manage projects not only to deliver the intended objectives of the project, but to complete them on time and within budget.
Joint strategic planning meeting organized by the network of “Trials of Excellence in Southern Africa” (TESA) in collaboration with the “East African Consortium for Clinical Research” (EACCR) held on 18-19th July 2013 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The strategic objectives of the meeting were:
- To set a common collaborative health research and capacity development strategy to address the poverty related diseases of HIV, Malaria and TB; neglected infectious diseases and Health Systems Optimization Research under EDCTP-II in collaboration with the East African Community (EAC), Southern African Development Community (SADC) and our European partners.
- To facilitate networking amongst the Eastern and Southern Research networks, their policy makers and European and African partner institutions, other parties such as pharmaceutical industry, product development partners (PDPs) and other funding agencies to jointly finance and support the region’s health research capacity development and policy formulation to improve population’s health and economic development.
- To explore adequate and efficient management systems to sustain and facilitate this strategic process.
Development meeting on tips for strengthening health research capacity in LMICs document, from 16-17 July 2013 in collaboration with MRC/UVRI Uganda, Research Unit on AIDS, Wellcome Trust in Partnership with ESSENCE on Health Research
The main objective was during two days to discusse about strengthening health research capacity in Low and Middle-Income Countries.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
ARCEAU, Democratic Republic of Congo
WANETAM (West African Network on Tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS and malaria), Senegal
University of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
EACCR (East African Consortium for Clinical Research), Uganda
WWARN ( WorldWide Antimalarial Resistance Network)
- Completion of web based courses proposed by AMANET, TRREE etc..
- Attendance to Ethics for Health Researcher workshops organized by AMANET
- Audit of the Ethics Committee « CERSSA » in March 2009, Brazzaville, Congo
- Submission of 3 proposals for the strengthening of Ethics Committees in Gabon, Congo and Cameroon.
- Ethics workshop for EC and NRA members, September 2010, Yaoundé, Cameroon
- Ethical aspects of clinical research, 17-21 January 2011, Dakar - Senegal
- First ethics days for ethics committee and NRA Members, 15 April 2011, Brazzaville - Congo ( See Photo)
- Joint workshop with WHO/Afro for the ethics committee members and investigators in Brazzaville 06-09 May 2013
Conferences (Presentation and/or Attendance)
- 5th EDCTP forum (Malaria, TB, HIV) 10-12 October 2009 Arusha, Tanzania
- AIDS Vaccine Conference, 19-22 October 2009, Paris, France
- Keystone symposium (HIV-TB) 21-25 October 2009 Arusha, Tanzania
- Fifth Pan African Malaria Conference, 2-6 November 2009 Nairobi, Kenya
- 5th AAVP Global Forum (HIV) December 2009, Kampala, Uganda
- Colloque EDCEH, 7-10 June 2010, Rennes, France
- ISHReCA General Meeting, 11-13 July 2010, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- ANDI Third Conference, 11-13 October 2010, Nairobi, Kenya
- 6th EDCTP forum (Malaria, TB, HIV) 09- 12 October 2011 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 7th Congress of tropical medecine and international health , 03-06 October 2011, Barcelona-Spain
- Impact of malaria on natural history and complications of HIV infection in African children and adolescents, 15-16 December 2011, Bologna Italia
- Noes (Node of Excellence) meeting in Dakar 24 - 25 June 2013